Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Pixels | Review From A Real Person

Pixels | Where retro game sprites take over Earth

Okay, so the title of this post isn't implying that critics aren't real people... but to be honest, when I went to see the movie Pixels over my birthday weekend, I went in thinking it was going to be horrible because every single critic review I read said nothing but how horrible it was and how much they hate Adam Sandler. But to my surprise, I actually LOVED it, as well as the rest of my family, so here's my short little review and back story about Pixels, and why I think it has something to offer.

My first thought walking up to the theater was 'well, based on the trailer, I bet it'll be a 6/10 at best.' My boyfriend wasn't as optimistic and bet a 4, and my mom really wasn't too into seeing it at all. But it was the one movie we could all agree on, so we took a chance at seeing it hoping it would at least be worth the 9 bucks each, and save us from buying it on Blu-Ray when its actually released. But within the first 10 minutes we were all cracking up from its humor, and some parts even caused a few tears from laughing so hard, which is something you can never really put a price on. Needless to say, we were all pleasantly surprised by the movie, and left the theater smiling.


That's when I went back home, ignoring critic reviews, and read some comments from everyday people instead. Of course, there was the people who hate anything that involves Sandler and said they would rather 'blank blank blank' than ever see this movie, or ones that disregarded it right from the get go, but I honestly had trouble finding a single negative review from someone who had ACTUALLY went and seen the movie that didn't enjoy it. 

To sum up those few paragraphs, please folks: remember that critic reviews aren't a reason why you should or shouldn't go see a movie / play a game / listen to an album. If it interests you enough, go see it and form your own opinion!


For some relatively spoiler free thoughts about the movie itself, I have to say I was quite happy to see some lesser known characters portrayed in the movie, and that they didn't go too romance or joke heavy. There was a bit of both in the movie, but it was all leveled out with just as many action scenes that you really didn't get bored of the love scenes, annoyed by overused humor, or confused by nonstop fighting. They balanced each genre out perfectly, and it made the experience much more enjoyable knowing that there was something for everyone to get into.

Going into the movie, I didn't expect to see much more than the infamously familiar Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, and Galaga sprites, but they actually included a crud ton of other games, even unfamiliar to my super retro knowledgeable boyfriend. Q-Bert was a personal favorite of mine, as well as the little dinosaurs from Dig-Dug making an appearance toward the end (if you're a girl you'll probably die of how adorable they are too). And yes, if you're wondering about Mario, his sprite did make a quick 2 second appearance as well.

The acting was also great, and I was happy to see a few unfamiliar faces, as well as Sandler regulars such as Nick Swardson and Kevin James. People can hate on Sandler all they want, but at the end of the day, he doesn't have 100% input and responsibility for everything he makes (I don't at my job either, do you?). I'm a personal fan of him, but I have to say that the stand-out role went to Josh Gad for me. Kind of crazy, but he had a sincere sense of humor about him, and seemed to fit the role like a  puzzle piece.

As a last side note, the visual effects in this movie were absolutely unreal. I know its 2015 and all, but I can definitely say that not once did it cross my mind that anything visually looked fake, wonky, or misplaced, and it really drew you into believing that the events in this movie were just as real as life as we know it. It was a huge addition to the experience in my opinion, and made me feel like it could've been happening right outside the theater for all I knew.


Overall: 

My finals thoughts on the movie are that if you're a huge geek like myself, into video games and/or their history, love retro games, or just want to re-live the nostalgia of your childhood again, you should see this movie, whether it be in theaters or on disc. I think it was easily worth my 9 bucks, and it was a fun end to close out the great birthday I had.

Oh, and take your family with you, because I think we can all take away something this movie has to offer! 


Did you see Pixels? What were your thoughts?

   

No comments:

Post a Comment